Thursday, September 15, 2016

Of Bucket Lists and Travel - Day 29

After a short break thanks to a migraine, I'm back and ready to swing through the home stretch of this blog challenge. I've done the top of my bucket list already, so let's talk travel and where I've been.

I haven't done much travel.

At least, not the kind of travel that is anything to write home about. The list of places I want to go is longer now than when I was a teenager with all kinds of bright hopes of seeing the world.

I've been to Mexico. Nowhere fancy, Tecate and Nogales; border towns that don't have much to offer except shopping and lots of dirt. I visited Tecate way back in high school for a church youth missions trip, where we helped build some new housing at a local orphanage. I was struck by two things: How little the locals had, and how content they seemed to be with what they had.

Nogales on the other hand, is totally a border and market town. Thousands of people stream in and out of Nogales daily, on foot and in cars. Americans go to buy pottery and medicines, Mexicans come through, looking for trade and work.

I grew up in central California, so I've been all over that state: Yosemite, Big Trees, Monterey, San Diego, San Francisco, all the touristy places. My all time favorite though, if I absolutely must be in California (no offense to those in Cali, but it's not a place I like to visit, for personal reasons, nothing to do with your state, I promise), I prefer to go to Morrow Bay. Just, lots and lots of happy memories of that place.

I've also been to Missouri, South Carolina, Minnesota (does it count if you were too young to remember it?), Kansas, the Dakotas, Idaho, Oregon, Utah, Arizona and Washington. I've lived in the latter two, and feel so very much at home in Washington. Especially here by the ocean, I have never, ever felt like "home" the way I do in our little seaside town.

Feeling my way though this blog post, I'm thinking that I'm not much of a travel writer, though if you were to ask me specific questions about places I would recommend here in Washington to visit, I could probably talk your ear off. I've lived in Washington twice, and I think that they'd have to pry my cold, dead body over the state line if anyone told me that I needed to move somewhere else, This is my home. And here I will stay.

Until next time, Live large, Love much, Laugh often.

Want to read all the posts in the series so far? You can hop over to the Intro to start from the beginning. If you're enjoying this series, please feel free to use it on your own blog. I just ask that you blog ethically and cite your sources, and maybe hop over to my Facebookpage and let me know, so that we can all follow along! Have a great day, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment