Monday, September 12, 2016

What Makes me Feel Better/Favorite Recipe - Day 27

Okay..  yes, yes. I know. I skipped day 26. Well, it was another day of duplicates: My 5 Favorite Blogs and an Old Photo of Me. Been there, done that, not that long ago, so... I've linked to them if you missed those, and am moving on to day 27, which includes what makes me feel better always and my favorite recipe.

So, let's tackle topic #1: What always makes me feel better?

In a single word?

Walking. Walking is my go-to cure for boredom, depression, fatigue, writer's block, and general spiritual uplifting.

But for those that haven't been following me for a while: This year has been painfully tough on me in this area. I developed problems with my feet (we still don't fully know what's happening) that make walking really, really difficult. I might be enjoying a wonderful walk to the beach, and my heels will suddenly lock up and feel like someone has stuck a knife in the back of my foot. Both feet, often.

I've been doing physical therapy all summer, and have made tremendous progress, but it's been 3 steps forward, 2 steps back all the way. A few weeks ago, we were looking at discharge from PT, because I was doing so well. That same visit, the tendons in one ankle went kaput, swelled up, stopped working and I was in OMG-I'm-dying pain.

Thanks to some great, quick action by my therapist and his assistant, I was able to hobble home (we don't have a car, and the bus system out here isn't the most reliable, not to mention that the therapist's office is only a few blocks from our place), ice it some more, and take a little something for pain.

It's been about three weeks now since that, and I still haven't been able to walk much further than the post office, but I'm getting there. And that's what really matters to me. I can still get out and walk a bit every day, which clears my head for writing and creating. Hopefully, I'll soon be able to get to the beach so I can sit down there and write, or at least record thoughts and scenes for the books I'm working on.

So... ya'll want a recipe that I absolutely love, huh?

Cheese biscuits.

I know, that sounds deceptively simple, but this is my go-to comfort food. Easy to make, and it brings back memories of Grandma's kitchen, as she used to make this when she just wasn't up to cooking.

Grab a pie pan, 2 cans of ready-made biscuits, and a cup of grated cheese. 

Preheat your oven to 375, and grease the pie pan. Open your cans of biscuits and lay them in the pan, overlapping slightly in a ring, with the left-over 3 or 4 in an overlapped clover pattern in the center. Cover with cheese, and pop it in the oven for about 25 minutes.

They come out super yummy, easily come apart and are great with or without butter. We've also slipped pepperoni slices in between the biscuits and added a little garlic salt to the top of the cheese for a pizza-type thing, but that's entirely optional.

That's it for today. 

If you're enjoying this series, please hop over to Facebook and let me know! Or, you know, you could just drop a comment below. If you've missed any posts, you can skip back to the Intro and read from there.

Are you a blogger that's flailing for content and need a little break from your normal topics? Or perhaps you're just getting started, and would like to populate your blog with some great posts that help readers get to know you? Feel free to snag this challenge and run with it. Just... do so ethically, please. Cite your sources, And then, pop over to that Facebook page and let us all know you're doing the challenge so we can follow you, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment